Making homemade granola and granola-type bars is very easy, and gives you complete control over what goes into them. Thank god! This recipe is really really versatile and can accomodate numerous substitutions and proportions.
1/2 cup chopped dried dates
1/2 cup water
5 teaspoons freshly ground or store bought flax
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup flour (any wil do here; I used hemp)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1/3 cup chopped raw almonds
1/3 cup raw seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, etc)
1/3 cup raisins
1 cup diced dried fruits (apples, cherries, pineapples, mangoes, prunes, etc)
1) Lightly coat a 9″x9″ baking pan with cooking spray or oil and set aside.
2) Prepare Date Mixture:
– Add 1/2 cup water and diced dates to a small saucepan.
– Bring to a slow simmer and cook about 5 min, stirring occasionally, until dates are soft (mixture will be nice and thick).
– Allow to cool.
3) Prepare Flax Mixture:
– Combine 1/2 cup very warm water and 5 tsps freshly ground or store bought flax.
– Set aside for five minutes to thicken then stir.
4) Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
5) Add flax mixture to date puree, and stir well.
6) Pour wet into dry ingredients, and mix to combine.
7) Press mixture into prepared pan, and bake at 350F for approx 15 min.
8] Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars, and serve!
– These keep really well if stored properly.
– 1/3 cup coconut flakes
– 1 tbsp oat bran
– 1 tbsp protein powder