Who knew making fortune cookies could be so easy? These can be fun for so many occasions. Just think of all the types of notes you could leave inside these: birthday wishes, cheesy romantic I love yous, funny girls-night messages … the list goes on and on. I am making these for a birthday – good times.
1 egg white
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1) Write your fortunes on strips of paper about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide AND preheat your oven to 400F.
2) Grease a cookie sheet with a very thin coat of butter.
3) Mix egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff.
4) Sift flour, salt, and sugar, and blend into the egg white mixture.
5) Drop batter by tsp about 4 inches apart on cookie sheet, and with back of spoon, smooth batter into round shapes, making sure batter is as even as possible (do not make too many at first — these cookies have to be HOT in order to form).
6) Bake cookies for 5 min or until they look golden on the edges (the middles typically look pale).
NOTE – Prepare more cookies on another buttered cookie sheet while the first batch is baking!
7) Take cookies out of oven, and remove from sheets using wide spatula to put cookies upside down on a wooden board.
8] Quickly put a fortune in the middle of the cookie and fold the cookie in half – fold cookie in half one more time, then place folded cookies into a muffin tin to cool.