For all you quiche lovers that just can’t handle regular crust – here’s the answer to your prayers! The quinoa in this recipe gets baked in the oven so it doesn’t even need to be precooked. It just settles into the bottom of the pan and creates a moist, crunchy crust. Lots of protein and spinachy-goodness make this a super-healthy meal that takes no time to prep … that’s 100% gluten-free!
1 tsp butter
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tbsp chopped garlic (about 3 large cloves)
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan or old cheddar cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease an 8 x 8 in. glass (or a Le Crueset – my personal fave dish ever – see image) baking dish with butter; set aside.
2) Place quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse until cold running water until water runs clear, then drain well.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and quinoa, stir in chopped spinach, then pour mixture into prepared dish.
4) Cover dish tightly with foil then gently pound or jiggle dish from side to side so that quinoa settles on the bottom in an even layer.
5) Bake until j
ust set, about 40 minutes.
6) Remove foil, sprinkle top evenly with cheese, then return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes more.
7) Set aside to let cool briefly, then slice and serve.