Yes, this is a mac’n’cheese for the rest of us … soy, gluten, AND dairy free!!! Some of the most common allergens and food intollerences out there these days. Sad but true. This certainly won’t replace Auntie Marg’s creamy gooey gorgeous baked version that has everyone in a coma for a few hours after enjoying, but hey, it’s better than the alternative of nothing. It’s a pretty tasty and easy version of a classic that will satisfy any “freer” out there. Enjoy!
1 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice macaroni
1 1/4 cup unsweetened rice milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp EACH onion powderand garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp tumeric
1 tbsp tahini
Sprinking of smoked paprika for dusting (optional!!)
1. Cook pasta according to directions on the box (usually about 7-8 min).
2. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water, and set aside.
3. Whisk all remaining ingredients together in a medium sauce pan, and turn on heat on burner to medium.
4. Bring sauce to a near boil then turn down the heat to low – stirring occasionally, to allow sauce to thicken.
5. Remove from heat once thickened, and combine with cooked macaroni, stirring to coat completely.
6. Return to bruner, heat thoroughly and serve!