Always on the hunt for tasty new versions of homemade and healthy bars, I love trying newly discovered, soon-to-be classics. These oooey-gooey-chewy sweet nuthins will dazzle your tastebuds and satisfy your sweet-tooth. They have some great ingredients, but as with all typical granola bars, are a wee bit high on the sugar factor – so no finishing the entire batch in one sittin’ ya hear? Well, try not too at least … and if you falter (don’t feel guilty, these things are like crack) just up the laps around the park that night, or maybe shave off a glass of vino (oh for the love of Pete why did I just say that?).
3/4 cup oats (not instant)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup unsalted sunflower OR pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup spelt flour (you could substitute whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
Pinch of nutmeg OR Allspice
1/2 cup canola OR sunflower oil OR almond oil
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried blueberries (or whatever your fave dried berry is)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a square baking pan with parchment paper OR simply grease pan slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine canola oil, brown sugar, and maple syrup until smooth then stir in egg and vanilla extract.
- Combine dry mixture with wet until it just incorporated then add in dried blueberries.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly, and bake bars until set (about 25-30 min).
- Remove bars from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire, then cut into desired sizes and shapes and serve!