Good grief has it really been THAT long??? Well, I guess it has, and I’m confident with my excuse: new motherhood. I welcomed the best thing EVER into my life last year and it’s been one hellova rollercoasster ride since. Poopy diapers and tantrums aside, I still love love love to cook and bake. So that’s that.
Here’s a great recipe for one of my autumnal faves … Apple Crumble. This version is modified to be GLUTEN FREE that has a slightly almond twist and incorporates pears as well. It’s a quick and elegant way to use up any apples or pears you just know will go if you don’t use them soon, and is super easy to prep. Now that time is of the essence (crazy toddler running around), making food that is healthy AND ready F-A-S-T is more important than ever.
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup almond flour (or oats)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (this is optional)
3 tbsp butter (at room temp)
3 tbsp almond flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger (this is optional)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 pounds apples (about 4 medium sized)
1 1/2 pounds pears (about 4 medium sized)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or craisins or raisins
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
1) Grease an 8″ or a 9″ square baking dish
2) Peel, core, and slice apples and pears.
* In a medium bowl, combine sliced almonds, flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger
* Add butter to mixture, and combine ingredients and butter until mixture resembles loose crumbs (best to use your fingers!)
* In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger, then add apples and pears, cranberries, lemon juice and almond extract.
* Mix fruit with the dry ingredients to coat, being careful not to break up the fruit (again – best to gently use your fingers!)
3) Transfer FILLING (fruit mixture) to the baking dish, and sprinkle TOPPING mixture evenly over top.
4) Bake at 375° F for approx 30-35 min or until topping is starting to turn golden brown, and fruit juices bubble.
5) Cool slightly before serving
– you can serve with whipped cream or ice cream
– can be served warm or cold