I am having a love affair lately with MACHE. What’s that you say? It’s a delicat and gorgeous little leaf that is soooo good for you and so yummers that you’ll be calling it old spinster spinach’s younger, prettier, healthier little sister. It may not be readily available in your area (also goes by Lambs Lettuce), but if you find it…GET IT! No regrets. Trust me. Why all the fuss? Mache is not only a natural anti-stresser, thanks to its high vitamin B9 content (160g B9 per 100g), but it is also has natural anti-fatigue and anti-depressive properties! Brills!
Just take a look at this 100g breakdown:
* At 160mg, it contains almost half the recommended daily amount of vitamin B9
* Dairy-free? No problem. Mache has almost 40g of calcium.
* Low on the iron? 2.2 mg!
* With 39 mg of vitamin C, you can skip the sugary juice in the morn and not feel bad.
* 4g fibre = happy innerds!
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
4-6 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 medium pink grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and de-membraned
1 medium avocado, sliced
2-3 cups mache (no stems)
For the mustard dressing =
In the salad bowl, mix mustard well with oil; add juice and continue to blend until thoroughly blended (salt to taste).
For the salad =
1) Place grapfruit sections and sliced avocado in a med-large bowl, then gradually add a few handfuls of mache leaves at a time and toss gently.
2) Pour dressing over and toss gently, then serve.