I love loaves… add to that something savoury and nutritious? I’m sold. This little gem will impress your guests, be kind to your hips, and won’t break the bank. Try subbing in your favourite squash or whatever you happen to have on hand. Oh, and it’s totally dairy free so it’ll knock the socks off your dairy-freer pals. You could even make this one vegan by using egg substitute for the 2 eggs. Impressive, I know!!!!
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup pureed squash (I used canned organic butternut, but you could use pumpkin or even sweet potatoes!)
1/3 cup canola oil (you could use almond or any other seed oil, but I’d avoid using Olive oil)
1/2 cup raisins
handful of pumpkin seeds
1) Preheat oven to 350F, and grease loaf pans.
2) In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and set aside
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, squash and oil with a wooden spoon, until smooth.
4) Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix to combine, then stir in raisins.
5) Pour batter into loaf pans (I used 3 mini, but you could use 1 large), sprinkle with seeds, and bake at 350F for 40 min until browned and tester stick comes out dry.
6) Allow to cool for 10 min in pans, then remove and cool on a wire rack for another 5-10 min, and serve!
NOTE – these can be frozen and allowed to defrost at room temp.